Re: Should I upgrade my kernel?

At 2003-03-29T17:04:22Z, "Roberto Sanchez" <sanchezr@hotmail.com> writes:

> I am running Woody with 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel.  I am wondering if I should
> bother upgrading my kernel?

If your current kernel works and supports all of the gadgets you have
plugged in to your system, then I wouldn't bother.

> If there is no point to upgrading now, what should I look for that will
> make it worthwhile?

Security updates.  Specific speed enhancements, such as a scheduler that
makes X more responsive.

> I realize this is a pretty basic question, but I am still working to
> understand all the intricacies of Linux (i.e., I never had to worry about
> upgrading the kernel in Windows ;)

Sure you have.  They call them "service packs".  :)
--
Kirk Strauser
In Googlis non est, ergo non est.