Re: KNOPPIX as an installer for Debian

On Saturday 29 March 2003 12:03, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 12:20:57AM +0200, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> > We all shall be thankfull to Knopper, for his wonderfull idea and work.
> > But Peopel (including me) have been telling knopper for some time, that
> > his project is really taking momentum but right now, he just doesn't seem
> > to recognize this. No wonder we are seeing Knoppix being forked everyday.
>
> God, I hope that isn't the case.  I have a dickless workstation (well,
> it's Win2000 with Novel and I can't get a login here but am allowed to
> use the computer[1], so all intents and purposes, it's diskless) and I
> really like having something at work that is kind of in synch with
> what I run at home.  I've actually spent more time in the last couple
> of months at a Knoppix box than sitting at Ursine's console directly.

Don't get me wrong, I love Knoppix. It is wonderful, from a users point of
view.

However, when you try to change stuff in knoppix (I'm not talking about merely
changing the packages, but on changing the background, changing the
bootscreen, changing the scripts in order to change the name "Knoppix" to
something else, and so forth), then, you will see how ugly knoppix is built.
Nothing is standardized, nothing is modularized and nothing is reuseable, I
am just glad that comments in the scripts are atleast in english.

Cheers

--

/* Those who do not understand Unix
 *are condemned to reinvent it, poorly */