Re: Acorn A5000

Hi

> Different architectures make more or less efficient use of RAM, but I
> suspect you are going to find it extremely difficult to even get debian
> installed on such a system. My 5MB Amiga 2000 simply thrashed itself to
> death trying to install packages, thanks to the bloated package
> database and dpkg's RAM-hungry design. I never got it upgraded from
> potato to woody and if it hadn't been taken off the net by a faulty NIC
> I would have shut it down anyway when security updates for potato stop.

It's too long ago for me to remember the details of the Amiga's, but if
memory serves me correctly the Acorn machines were far superior in
performance. :-)

Regards
Paul

Paul Grenyer
Email: pjgrenyer@iee.org
Web: www.paulgrenyer.co.uk

".and then one day, nearly 2000 years after one man got nailed to a tree for
saying how great it would be to be nice to people for a change.."