Re: Acorn A5000

On 28 Mar 03 13:49:16 GMT, Paul Grenyer <paul@paulgrenyer.co.uk> wrote:

>> However, RiscOS code is extremely compact, and whether Linux can do
> anything
>> useful in 4MB of RAM I'm not sure.
>
> I only want to run apache and CVS.

Different architectures make more or less efficient use of RAM, but I
suspect you are going to find it extremely difficult to even get debian
installed on such a system. My 5MB Amiga 2000 simply thrashed itself to
death trying to install packages, thanks to the bloated package
database and dpkg's RAM-hungry design. I never got it upgraded from
potato to woody and if it hadn't been taken off the net by a faulty NIC
I would have shut it down anyway when security updates for potato stop.

--
Frank Copeland
Home Page: <URL:http://thingy.apana.org.au/~fjc/>