having trouble with ad1816 sound configuration

Hi,
The machine is an HP VISUALIZE P700C.  It has integrated
sound using an AD1816 chip (from the technical reference).
I try to load the right module in modconf and get an error,
however, I see in many searches on the web that people have
had success with the ad1848 modules.  The ad1848 modules
load successfully.

But no matter what I do, sndconfig or alsaconfig can't find
the chip.  The HP tech reference says it's interfaced
through the ISA bus, so I'm surprised that isapnp doesn't
see it either (usually isapnp finds EVERYTHING, especially
stuff that win2k refuses to admit exsistance of).

And even when I get the config utilities up, they say that
can't see any of the 1848 modules that modconf said it
loaded successfully.  I've seen a lot of talk on the net
about updating to 2.4.20 to fix sound problems...I'm
currently running the stock bf24 kernel, which I think is
2.4.18.

I tried disabling the bios pnp function to try and let linux
take over configuration, but that didn't seem to alter
behavior at all.

I searched the archives but wasn't able to come up with
anything that seemed related...Any words of wisdom to offer?

Thanks for the help, plz cc:me

-russ

PS please don't crucify me but as anyone who's worked with
them knows, the HP systems are sometimes a real pain to tear
into and I'm going on faith with the technical reference
saying that it's an ad1816.  The thought has crossed my mind
that there may be other pieces on the board to complete the
chipset, I don't know for sure just how integrated the
ad1816 is.  I think I'll pull a spec from Analog Devices,
now that I'm curious...

Niiiiice.  I just checked.  I can't get the datasheet off
the site.  the part is obsolete (as is the ad1848)...but it
worked great under windows and alsa says that it's
supported! (I received the box with win2k on it)

PSS if anyone is interested in the technical reference
(covers all pentium III based HP workstations) I have the
complete pdf (1.8 MB).  These would be great boxen to recyle
into linii, they're very solid and use high quality parts,
midi/game ports and everything are built right in (I would
consider using this as a midi workstation, easy).  Probably
run another 20yr at least, and have a cool LCD built in the
front that reports system stuff.