Re: KNOPPIX as an installer for Debian

sean finney wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 09:56:05AM -0800, Craig Dickson wrote:
> > > (from a knoppix boot up)
> > > # fdisk /dev/hda
> > > # mkdir /target
> > > (mount all the hard drive partitions into /target, /target/usr, etc...)
> > > # debootstrap sid /target
> > > (you can do woody instead of sid if you want stable)
> > > # chroot /target dpkg -a --configure
> > > # chroot /target
> > > # apt-get install stuff
> > > (don't forget to include a linux kernel and run lilo)
> >
> > What is the advantage of doing it this way from Knoppix rather than just
> > booting from a Debian install CD? Is it just that you can set up a sid
> > system directly, without having to install stable or testing first?
>
> it autoconfigures itself, you can sit on a kde desktop, listen to your
> favorite ogg vorbis collection over an smbmount (or streaming from the
> net), and play a few rounds of frozen-bubble while you wait :)

I must be failing to understand something here. Knoppix will certainly
autoconfigure itself when it boots off the CD, but I don't see anything
that causes that configuration to be remembered for later when you boot
your new Debian installation directly from the hard disk. Nor do I see
anything that puts the Knoppix autoconfiguration into your hard disk
installation. What I see is that you booted Knoppix, partitioned your
hard disk, mounted the partitions, set up a default base unstable system
with debootstrap in a chroot, ran dpkg in the chroot to configure that
base system (which doesn't benefit from what Knoppix knows about the
hardware, does it?), then used apt-get in the chroot to add more Debian
unstable packages to it. And you added a kernel and made the system
bootable. Does your "include a kernel" mean copy Knoppix's kernel over
and build a modules.conf based on the set of modules Knoppix decided to
load? If so, then I'd say you glossed over a critical detail.

Craig