Re: Mozilla 1.3 for Woody?

On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 09:45, Michael Bona wrote:
> Mark L. Kahnt wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 12:57, Michael Bona wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> does anyone know a source for Mozilla Version 1.3 for Woody? Apt-get.org
> >> does not seem to list any and I am really looking forward to the new
> >> functionality.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Michael
> >
> > It is a wild idea, but I can see Mozilla.org's own installer for 1.3 at
> > http://www.mozilla.org - tested here to install under /opt, it works
> > fine, just isn't maintained by the Debian packaging system.
>
> Well, I am all for wild ideas ;-) I am only wondering if my .mozilla
> directory will become confused, if I have to re-install all the plugins
> etc. Any experiences with having both a Debian Mozilla and an "original"
> Mozilla on the same machine (and the same user)?
>
> Thanks
> Michael

Nah - I've been running both the Debian maintained and the Mozilla.org
versions since the mid-Milestone days, against the same .mozilla, and
have seen no hiccups, although I don't use it for email, but by 1.3, it
should be generally okay there.

As to plugins, that is something that does need to be re-installed. Copy
your /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins files to /opt/mozilla/plugins (except for
the javaplugin.so - that needs to be a symbolic link instead) and start
up /opt/mozilla/mozilla, and all should be fine.

A note, however - the Mozilla entry on your menu will still be for the
older version - you need to either set up a separate launcher (if you
are using something like Gnome or KDE, WindowMaker or AfterStep) or add
a personal menu or favorite or however it is defined by your preferred
Window Manager.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org