Re: Why is my kernel broken?

> > trying to install is 2.4.16-k7, which is appropriate for my hardware.  I
> > can get and install the package without incident, and everything appears
> > to be configured as it should be a whole slew of:
> >
> > modprobe: cannot locate dependencies file
> > /lib/modules/2.4.16-k7/modules.dep--no such file or directory.
>
> make sure you have a /etc/modules.conf or equiv

I've got that. I even tried adding the line "lib/modules/2.4.16-k7/" to
the /etc/modutils/paths file, but that didn't fix the problem and
generated extra complaints about invalid lines in /etc/modules.conf.

> when you have booted the 2.4.16-k7 kernel . . .

Ah, but this is just the problem. The kernel doesn't boot--I get the
modprobe error message during startup, and the kernel panics.

> . . . run "depmod -a"  and that should update your
> /lib/modules/2.4.16-k7/modules.dep

I'll try this anyway and see if it works.

> and than probably reboot for safe measure ??
>
> or just try insmod'ing a few modules from
> /lib/modules/2.4.16-k7/kernel/*/something.o

This probably won't work until I have the kernel running, but if I still
have problems with the module afterwards I'll keep this in mind.

Jesse S. Bangs jaspax@u.washington.edu
http://students.washington.edu/jaspax/
http://students.washington.edu/jaspax/blog

Jesus asked them, "Who do you say that I am?"

And they answered, "You are the eschatological manifestation of the ground
of our being, the kerygma in which we find the ultimate meaning of our
interpersonal relationship."

And Jesus said, "What?"