Re: Why is my kernel broken?

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, JS Bangs wrote:

> Hello fellow Debian fans--
>
> I've been trying to listen to music on my computer, which meant I had to
> install ALSA suport for my driver, which meant I had to update my kernel
> from the 2.2.20 that's the default with Woody.  The kernel package I'm
> trying to install is 2.4.16-k7, which is appropriate for my hardware.  I
> can get and install the package without incident, and everything appears
> to be configured as it should be a whole slew of:
>
> modprobe: cannot locate dependencies file
> /lib/modules/2.4.16-k7/modules.dep--no such file or directory.

make sure you have a /etc/modules.conf or equiv

when you have booted the 2.4.16-k7 kernel,
run "depmod -a"  and that should update your
/lib/modules/2.4.16-k7/modules.dep

and than probably reboot for safe measure ??

or just try insmod'ing a few modules from
/lib/modules/2.4.16-k7/kernel/*/something.o

lsmod to see if its listed

c ya
alvin