ASUS motherboard

I've been trying to install Debian (Woody) on a machine built around
an Asus P4S533-E motherboard. I'm using the vf-2.4 kernel-flavor.

The problem I'm having is with the onboard LAN controller.

It's listed among the PCI controllers at the initial stage of the boot
process (assigned IRQ 5) and lspci can find it and reports:

00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 10/100 Ethernet (rev 91)

I'm trying to use the eepro100 driver, but the interface cannot be
brought up. I get NO SUCH DEVICE error messages, and this in dmesg:

eth0: EEPROM read 0

I installed (and run) Debian testing on a machine with an ASUS P4S533
with no difficulties whatever, using the eepro100 driver.

Does anyone know what might be different between the P4S533 and the
P4S533-E that could be at the root of this difficulty?

I saw a reference to what looks like the same problem on a SuSe
web-site, and it suggested that a patched kernel was needed. The
information and advice was very specific to SuSe however.

Might the sis900 driver be a better choice?

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Jim