Re: Convincing someone to switch to Linux

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 08:33:46AM +0100, Conrad Newton wrote:
> >From Roberto Sanchez on Tuesday, 2003-03-25 at 18:45:52 -0500:
> > It didn't work out.  I offered some other ideas (as suggested here on the
> > list), and got a "we'll think about it."  Today when I went into the
> > lounge, I saw the shiny new ~$1500 Dell.  They also won't let me have the
> > old machines, since they could only "afford" one new one.  They will
> > apparently need to continue using those as is.
> >
> > Oh well.  Maybe next time.
> >
> > Thanks for all the ideas.
> >
> > -Roberto Sanchez
>
> Just out of curiosity, what are the specs of the new machine,
> and what are they proposing to do with it?  I cannot understand
> why they did not buy 2-3 machines instead of one expensive one.
> Is there some explanation other than blind stupidity?

Perhaps I am out in left field, but if a business considers a $1500
computer "expensive", there may be other problems at said company
besides fear of linux.

  You see, the best way to solve a problem is to rigorously define
  it in terms of other people's problems and then run away quickly.
          -- Roland McGrath