Re: New "Creating Custom Kernels" newbiedoc

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 kjmck@bellatlantic.net wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 13:43:32 -0500 (EST)
> Faheem Mitha <faheem@email.unc.edu> wrote:

> > Just one more. I think that you need tk*-dev in section 2.2, not just tk*,
> > to do "make xconfig", since this amounts to doing a compilation.
>
> I worked from a clean installation of Woody, without even X. I installed just
> enough to do menuconfig. Then I installed just enough to get X. Then I tried
> xconfig.
>
> make whined about not finding "wish". "apt-get install wish" told me that wish
> is included in either tk8.0 or tk8.1 or tk8.3 (which is why the package
> section reads that way). Installing tk8.3 was enough to do xconfig.

Hm. Really? Well, this sounds very thorough. You should tell Manoj about
this, since the README.gz in kernel-package mentions tk*-dev.

Just a couple more things.

In 2.2 you say

   8. bin86 (for building 2.2.x kernels on PCs)

But I thought that bin86 was an x86 thing, and not just for 2.2 kernels.

Also, in 3.2 why don't you just suggest using dpkg -l to check the
versions, instead of telling people to read the changelog? It is true that
if you want to make sure that the version you have is newer than the one
mentioned, you could check the Debian changelog to see if the version
mentioned was in it, but I almost never do that in practice.

                                                  Faheem.