Re: screen - recover session after a shut down

on Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 04:49:39PM +0530, Sandip P Deshmukh (deshmukh@escortsmumbai.com) wrote:
> hello all
>
> i am using screen on my debian 3.0.
>
> i usually have a few applications open when i use it. i typically halt
> from within the screen.
>
> when i restart the computer and restart screen, i have to start these
> applications again.
>
> is there a way in which i can make screen remember what applications
> were open even after i reboot?

Screen *doesn't* maintain a shell or shells *between* system reboots.
It can't.  You've killed all processes (including screen and its child
processes), and they're not available to restart.

If your system supports hibernation or sleep mode (most laptops, and
many desktops do), you can *suspend* your system, and restore all
processes (including screen and its child processes) at a later time.

If you are using screen on a remote system which is *not* going through
a boot cycle (e.g.:  you ssh to a remote host, and keep a 'screen'
session active there), you can reconnect to the host, then reconnect to
the screen session (as indicated elsewhere on this thread) by:

    $ screen -r

...or if the disconnect wasn't clean, try the '-rd' (reconnect,
disconnect other sessions) or '-rx' (reconnect, share connection).

If you have mulitiple screen sessions running, you want to use '-ls' to
see which are available.  'man screen' for more information.

Peace.

    "Yes," said Marvin. "Wearily I sit here, pain and misery my only
    companions. And vast intelligence of course. And infinite sorrow.
    And..."
    -- HHGTG