RE: X

FWIW,
I don't understand the confusion over this issue, I've seen this type of post before with basically the same argument.
I'm an average windows end user trying to migrate to Linux (Debian, in particular) and as I was installing software and X on my machine, the information provided by dselect gave clear implication that xdm(gdm, wdm, etc.) provide a graphical login. If a person is well-versed in command line usage and only needs a gui interface for web browsing then it seems that it would be easier to write a script or something that prompts the user to select which type of login they want than to install something that blatantly says it will give you a gui login.

mw