Re: Multiple network interfaces

On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 05:18, Raúl Alexis Betancort Santana wrote:
> El Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 06:43:07PM -0500, Mark L. Kahnt escribió:
> > 2) Linux, iirc, requires a kernel driver for each individual ethernet
> > card, meaning that if you have two or more identical ethernet cards, you
> > need the driver twice. The only way to do that is to compile it as a
> > module, rather than into the kernel, and then set it up in /etc/modules
>
>  8-OOOOOOOOOOOO ..... thats not true at all, the kernel does not need
> the driver *twice*, most of linux kernel drivers support, without any
> change, 4 or 8 devices, that depends on the kind of device, etc ...
> Some need special parameters to activate more than one device with the
> same driver, for example the ISDN drivers, some old eth drivers for
> ISA cards also need extra params.
>
>  Note to the original poster:
> 	Tell us your eth card model, that at first, it will be also helpful
> if you send the /var/log/dmesg file, to check if your card is
> correctly detected at boot time. The output of the lspci command will
> be very helpful too.
> 	When you have a problem .. if you dont give any information, the
> rest of us will be lost trying to help you.
>
> Best Regards

My bad wording there - a phonecall interupted my stream of thought. The
documentation I read when I was installing two identical ethernet cards
in my box, at the time I was running a 2.2 series kernel, was two
entries in /etc/modules.conf, one for each card, to configure the driver
twice. As such, it needed to be a module - if it was compiled into the
kernel, it would only see and support the first card.

I decided against that route and put in different cards, with the
identical card being put on the other machine on the lan (the third card
was only 10 mbit, while the first two were 10/100 mbit, so the 10 mbit
was put on the dsl modem as that was all that it needed.) Could be that
was dated when I read it and it lodged in my brain in a weird way - I
was still used to putting a hole in a passing cable and tapping in, with
a router down the line for outside connections, rather than multiple
cards in one box at that point.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org