Re: syncing m130 with debian and possible gtk problems

on Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 01:23:07AM -0500, Erinn (erinn@double-helix.org) wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I know this has been covered ad nauseum here and other place as I've
> been googling for months trying to fix it myself. However, now that
> debian-pilot is defunct and debian-handheld appears to be for the
> development of Debian on handhelds, I figure this is the only place to
> ask. Now for my problem:
>
> I'm running Gnome 2.2 on unstable with Evolution 1.2.2-1 and I have a
> Palm m130 I'd like to sync with it.
>
> What I've done so far:
>
> I've made a symbolic link between /dev/pilot and /dev/ttyUSB0 (which,
> according to both /var/log/messages and the googling I've done is the
> appropriate thing to do), and chowned ttyUSB0 to my username. Made sure

Generally, it's a better idea to chown a device to some group (say,
ttyusb), give that group appropriate access to the file, and add
yourself to that group.  For multiuser systems this becomes essential.

> I have all of the proper modules loaded (usbcore, usbserial, usb-uhci,
> visor) and a kernel that supports my Palm, a custom 2.4.20-5 kernel.
>
> When I try to sync using Evolution it gives me an error saying:
>
> 	Unknown pilot - no pilots match ID 27707
> 	Use gnomecc to set pilot's ID

I haven't used Palm stuff for a while, when I did it was with a Palm
IIIe and serial cradle.  I found that the pilot-xfer utilities were
easier for me to deal with (command-line curmudgeon that I am) than the
various "Palm Desktop" apps.  You can also set the Palm userID through
one of the pilot-xfer utilities, though I forget which at the moment.

<...>

>  *** THIS WILL CAUSE APPLICATIONS TO CRASH, DIE, LOSE INFORMATION,
>  AND OTHER NASTY EFFECTS.  DON'T USE THIS IF YOU WANT STABILITY ***

I can't speak from personal experience, but such dire warnings may be
fore for effect than actual instability.  Problem of course is that if
your PalmOS device needs a hard reset, you lose everything.  And if you
can't back it up without risking a hard reset....  Catch-22.   Again,
I'd recommend pilot-xfer.

OTOH, if you don't have any data on your Palm yet, the risk is small.

Peace.

    "This must be Thursday," said Arthur musing to himself, sinking low
    over his beer, "I never could get the hang of Thursdays."
    -- HHGTG