Re: Boot problem

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 21:01:55 -0500
mrmoo1231@netscape.net wrote:

> one of times after which I recompiled a 2.4.16 kernel for the Official
> Deb (I got the source pkg. from the Libranet CD's), and carefully
> modified the /boot/grub/menu.lst on Libranet, I got a kernel panic on
> the subsequent boot.
>
> Here are the exact 5 last lines (they all seemed relevant):
>
> request_module[ide-disk]: Root fs not mounted
> hdb: driver not present
> VFS: Cannot open root device "hdb3" or 03:43
> Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:43 (is this a sector
> or block designation or something?)

> * when I booted into the official Deb. (again, on /dev/hdb3) with a
> "rescue root=/dev/hdb3"  and ran fdisk to check the partitioning,
> fdisk says that /dev/hdb3 overlaps /dev/hdb1 (don't ask where
> /dev/hdb2 went, I haven't the foggiest).

You don't have IDE support for your hard drive, and that's the reason
request-module [ide-disk] fails. In fact, you shouldn't see a
request-module at all.

In menuconfig, check "ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support" -> "IDE, ATA and ATAPI
Block devices" -> "Include IDE/ATA-2 DISK support". I'll bet you have an
"M" there. Put a "*" there, and try again.

While you're at it, check "File systems", and make sure whatever you use
for a root filesystem has support compiled in. Also check "Block
devices" and make sure "Normal PC floppy disk support" has a "*" there.

Check out the newbiedoc on kernel compiling:

http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

Let us know if any of that doesn't work or doesn't make sense.

Kevin