Re: Permission denied -- Say what?

ronin2@bellatlantic.net writes:

> Today I get "Permission denied" to execute a file I own, in a directory
> I own and have write and execute permissions.
>
> What's up with that?
>
> bash:/home/ronin/files/seti$ ls -al
> -r-xr-xr-x    1 ronin    users      134072 Dec 12  2000 setiathome
>
> bash:/home/ronin/files/seti$ ./setiathome
> bash: ./setiathome: Permission denied

The other thing that might cause this is if setiathome is a script of
some sort, and the thing the script points to isn't executable:

  $ ed foo
  foo: No such file or directory
  #!/etc/passwd
  hello there
  .
  26
  $ chmod +x foo
  $ ./foo
  zsh: permission denied: foo

Something that big doesn't seem terribly likely to be a script,
though.  'file setiathome' might be informative (along with the
desparation-measure 'strings setiathome |less') if you can't figure
anything else out.

	-- Abra Mitchell