Re: Status of Testing

Bill Moseley wrote:
On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, Travis Crump wrote:

Bill Moseley wrote:

Can someone fill me in on the status of Testing -- I have not updated my
Testing/Unstable machine for a while (IIRC the glibc issue??).

The glibc issue is resolved, if you upgrade now than you will probably upgrade on the order of 100-200 packages depending on how many were already the unstable version and how many you have installed. It is doubtful that that will fix the mozilla issue though...

Well, for my testing/unstable machine:

bumby:/home/moseley/swish-e# apt-get -s dist-upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Calculating Upgrade... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
audacity galeon galeon-common libsdl-mixer1.2 libvorbis0 timidity timidity-patches tuxracer The following NEW packages will be installed:
  bc gcc-3.2-base gkrellm libart-2.0-2 libaudio2 libdvdread3 libgcc1 libnetpbm9 libpaper-utils
libpaper1 libqt3c102-mt libstdc++5 libvorbis0a netpbm xlibmesa3-glu The following packages have been kept back kmail ogle-mmx sylpheed-claws 176 packages upgraded, 15 newly installed, 8 to remove and 3 not
upgraded.

I have always thought the "kept back" packages were because they were from
unstable and I'm running testing.  But, if I comment my line from
apt.conf

  // APT::Default-Release "testing"

and run dist-upgrade I sill have packages that are held back, but I also
still see that galeon will be removed.

What's conflicting with galeon to force it to be removed?

'apt-get dist-upgrade -s -o Debug::PkgProblemResolver=on > output 2>&1' will produce a lot of info about why apt wants to remove things[most of it seems to go to standard error, hence the '> output 2>&1']. It's a little cryptic, but you may be able to figure it out. Another option to try to figure out what's going on is to use aptitude.