Woody+KDE3.1

hi,
My apologies for asking this oft repeated question again, but i
could'nt find anything on the archives which could solve my problem.Firstly I am a Debian newbie (kind of).
I have the seven CDs of woody r0 with me and during installation
only gave the option c/c++ developement unix tools or something ...
using tasksel ... and skipped dselect.basically i did an almost base install.
Then i let the installer scan all the 7 CDs. and then after the
install was over i did aapt-get install kde

Now i got the kde3.1 backport from ktown.kde.org/~nolden .. on a CD.
I put the line to that in my sources.list and did an apt-get updatewhich was successful (because it did'nt show any errors !!).
Now how do i upgrade kde2.2 to kde3.1. apt-get upgrade does'nt do
anything ... installs one or two packages and keeps the rest of the
kde. apt-get dist-upgrade says it'll have to remove the whole kde.Am i doing something wrong ?
Do i need more packages like gcc3.x or something ?
I really need to use kde3.1 on woody. And can't do it from the net
because i don't have a fast net connection.thanx

Sharninder Singh
National Institute Of Management, Calcutta

'M.C.S.E - Minesweeper Consultant & Solitaire Expert'