pam_limits behavior on woody

I am using woody and had this in /etc/security/limits.conf:

backup hard    fsize   100000000
*      hard    fsize   100000

The idea is that backup should have a file limit size of 100Gb, with all
other users have a file limit size of 100Mb.  The problem is the above
doesn't work.  I can't get backup to create a file above 3.5Gb unless I
comment out the above lines.  Did I do something wrong?

Really I wanted the backup user to have unlimited file size limit with
my normal other limits, instead of using 'backup -' and having no
restrictions for that user.  But based on the docs, it doesn't seem I
have that kind of granularity, but perhaps I missed something.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Jamie Strandboge

--
Email:        jstrand1@rochester.rr.com