Re: [OT, FLAME] Linux Sucks

On Monday 24 March 2003 10:06 am, Larry wrote:

> I don't condone the outburst, and am not fully tuned
> in on this incident.
>
> I must say, however, that compared to a number of
> other systems I've worked with, Debian is difficult to
> get installed and configured.  I suspect the poor
> fellow was ready to tear his hair out (assuming he had
> some hair).

The 'poor' fellow shouldn't be using Debian to begin. Debian is an operating
system for hobbyists and technically literate individuals who want a powerful
and complete system, and a free one at that. It's not for one who gets
frustrated easily; It wasn't designed for that. If I wanted a system that was
simple, did everything I want, but had to sacrifice performance, power,
enjoyment, et cetera, then I'd run Windows. Thus, I run Debian!

> On the other hand, I've found the system to function
> extrememly well, and be marvilously stable.

Sid isn't the same way, as it takes some unborking to get working. But it's
fun and I learn quite a bit, so it's worth it. Stable doesn't break when you
finally get it working, but it can still be difficult for Joe (no offense to
the people named Joe) Doofus to set up. Linux is, and forever will be, an
operating system for the technically literate and those who want to be
technically literate.

> Once
> installed, it is easy to upgrade and install
> applications on.  So the big hump, unfortunately, is
> at the very beginning.

Simply put, if you get frustrated easily, then you shouldn't be using Linux.

--
Scott C. Linnenbringer
finger sl at eskimo.com