Re: X ---> console switch puts monitor out of range...

On Mon, 2003-03-24 at 14:34, Tom wrote:

> Debian runs smoothly as long as I use X. The system boots fine, I
> land at the prompt, enter 'startx' when I feel the need to do so.
> When I want to switch back, however, from X to console, my monitor
> blanks, reporting it's "out of range".
>
> Indeed, the refreshing rates it then mentions are too high for it
> to handle. It's quite frustrating, however. I am bound to using X
> all the time, since I can't freely switch from X to console and
> back: when I make the switch, there's no other option than to
> reboot, although my X-configfile specifies refreshing rates that
> are more than safe to use.

And I thought I was the only one...

I use WindowMaker, and when I try to quit X (ctl-alt-bs or Exit from the
menu), my LCD (often) turns white at the edges and the white slowly
moves in until every pixel is all the way on. Then I reboot.

How do you log out, just pull the plug? Where does your system write
about the bad refresh rates?

I'm currently quiting X with "sync;sync;sync;killall WindowMaker." Not
very elegant, but it seems to work so far.

I've seen this mentioned on the list before, and I keep watching, but so
far none of the gurus have explained it.

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com