X ---> console switch puts monitor out of range...

Hi all,

Debian runs smoothly as long as I use X. The system boots fine, I
land at the prompt, enter 'startx' when I feel the need to do so.
When I want to switch back, however, from X to console, my monitor
blanks, reporting it's "out of range".

Indeed, the refreshing rates it then mentions are too high for it
to handle. It's quite frustrating, however. I am bound to using X
all the time, since I can't freely switch from X to console and
back: when I make the switch, there's no other option than to
reboot, although my X-configfile specifies refreshing rates that
are more than safe to use.

I am more of a newbie, but I guess it must have something to do
with framebufferdevices and the like. Could anyone please shed
a light on this? Google yielded no results worthy to be mentioned,
and the framebuffer-howto wasn't all that helpful either...

I posted my question to the list once before, but can't quite seem
to find it back in the archives.

I use sid's XFree86, and installed the Nvidia-drivers for kernel
2.4.20, correctly, as it seems...

Quite hopeless,
Tom

--