Re: Centrino [OT]

On Sunday 23 March 2003 01:22, Robert Storey wrote:
> The situation could change in the future, but for now it's like this:

It has to. As in the article pointed out, Centrino is a /chipset/, Pentium M,
or Banian as its nickname is, is the new processor that will bring uptime to
laptops. In order to have the Centrino sticker on your product, you have to
buy all the crap Wi-Fi stuff.

Another reason why Intel needs to invest so much money into the marketing
campaign: For years, they have marketed that clock speed is the key to
success. Now Pentium M come with less clock speed with same performance as a
Pentium IV because Pentium M do the job more intelligent than Pentium IV
/and/ with a Wi-Fi chipset it save space and even more power. No wonder they
need to waste $300 million to change their MHz doctrine when they /also/
bundle outdated crap with new technology. I say /crap/ because the Wi-Fi
standard integrated is not the new fast 803.11g but an older one (I may have
got the standard number wrong)

Once upon a time Intel did an exellent marketing golden goose: Intel inside.
Now they try to outperform themselves /and/ at the same time state that they
are going to.

Maybe they should change Marketing IV with a Marketing M.