Re: Can't Send Mail

on Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 08:47:28PM -0500, Emily Dryden (dryden@verizon.net) wrote:
> I have a three computer home network connected through a router to a dsl
> modem.  Initial attempts to set up the email accounts with kde failed
> because konqueror could supply the user name for the smpt account but
> not the password.  Fortunately, mozilla could do both.  Now mozilla can
> no longer connect.  I suspect a security upgrade may have wiped out this
> feature.  Help!

Sounds like you're relying on applications to connect to your ISP's SMTP
server, and are having configuration problems.

My suggestion:  configure your local MTA (mail server, probably exim) to
forward outbound external mail to a "smarthost".  Set your apps for
localhost delivery.  You configure exim once to send stuff to your ISP,
and you don't have to worry about your application settings again.

Peace.