Re: PDF presentation from LaTeX: TexPower? Prosper?

Glen Snyder <gsnyder@rice.edu> writes:

> 2. Can anyone strongly recommend another latex package (Prosper?)
> supplied by debian that would allow me to insert a bunch of EPS figures
> and math formulas, and produce an electronic presentation that can run
> on Acrobat Reader.

I taught a short Java class in January and made slides using Prosper.
It worked great (and *much* better than trying to use Magicpoint last
year); I used 'xpdf -fullscreen -papercolor black' to actually run the
slides, since xpdf is (a) free and (b) much smaller and faster than
acroread.

(Things that didn't work: last year's slides were done with
m4-generated MagicPoint, but the presentation looks much different
from the printed slides, and the syntax sucks and it's hard to get
things to look nice.  I had a somewhat brief foray into the world of
DocBook, but I didn't want to do DSSSL/XSLT hacking to try to get
something even a little presentable.  I finally realized that if what
I really wanted was PS/PDF, then I could generate it very
straightforwardly from *TeX.  I tried TeXPower but disliked it for
reasons I don't recall before settling on Prosper.

The one caveat with Prosper is that the slides look terrible in xdvi.
This is fine; you need to go ahead and run dvips over it and then
preview things in gv.  The same may actually be true for TeXPower,
before you abandon that.)

	-- Abra Mitchell