Re: X

On Sun, 2003-03-23 at 14:54, Leo Spalteholz wrote:

> Sorry this won't help you but I've always wondered why debian does
> this.  You install xdm and the defualt is to boot straight into a
> graphical login.  Why??  At the very least it should ask you when
> installing if you want to start up into  X.
> A friend of mine recently installed debian and whenever he rebooted it
> started x and then hung his machine.  He doesn't have enough
> experience to know how to circumvent this and therefore had to do a
> complete reinstall.
> I would think that especially debian would adopt a policy of having
> automatic boot to X disabled by default. Every other distro will at
> least ask you.

Oh, that's it. Thank you - removing wbm from the boot process took care
of that one. I was expecting that by switching to Debian, I would be
getting away from 'helpful' software.

After spending the afternoon in the Debian /etc directory, I'm inclined
to agree with Evi Nemeth et al who claim Debian's init process leaves a
little something to be desired, readability-wise. It's such a mess that
I'd volunteer to fix it if I thought I knew enough.

An explicit kill of the wmaker process seems to get me out of X. So far.
I'll believe it when it works reliably for 3 weeks. And I sure would
like to know what causes this LCD screen slowly to turn white.

Window Maker with the big debian jpg sure is cool, though :-)

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com