Re: X

On March 23, 2003 01:03 pm, Glenn English wrote:
> Well, many thanks to those who helped me get X running on my Dell
> Latitude Laptop.
>
> Now I need help getting it to stop.
>
> I'm using wmaker, and when the system boots, it comes up with an X
> login. I don't want it to do that, and when I hit ctl-alt-bs, I get
> the Creeping White Screen Of Death (CWSOD) and I have to reboot.
> After login, selecting WindowManager Exit also gets the CWSOD. So
> does "shutdown -r now." I can't say for sure about ctl-alt-del. I
> can kill the wmaker process and get out of X.
>
> All this happens only some of the time. It takes so long to reboot
> that I haven't been able to find clearly repeatable steps. It seems
> like things were OK at first, then quit working - but there have
> been times when quit, quits. Logging in as root does the same
> thing.
>
> My XF86Config-4 is a trial-and-error merge of that produced by the
> Debian and the Red Hat installers.
>
> I've never seen the CWSOD anywhere but here on Debian. Anybody know
> what causes that? Why does the system come up with an X login? I
> never (Intentionally) asked it to.

Sorry this won't help you but I've always wondered why debian does
this.  You install xdm and the defualt is to boot straight into a
graphical login.  Why??  At the very least it should ask you when
installing if you want to start up into  X.
A friend of mine recently installed debian and whenever he rebooted it
started x and then hung his machine.  He doesn't have enough
experience to know how to circumvent this and therefore had to do a
complete reinstall.
I would think that especially debian would adopt a policy of having
automatic boot to X disabled by default. Every other distro will at
least ask you.

Leo