Re: Woody to sid to Woody Dependency Hell

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 05:17:36 -0800
 Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> wrote:

On Sat, Mar 22, 2003 at 11:15:45PM -0500, JOSEPH A NAGY JR wrote:
--Hey guys, I'm writing this from within lynx because I tried upgrading to sid via your suggestions, but I met dependency hell and couldn't restart X. So I tried going back to woody, but I'm still having problems getting X and KDE properly installed. My biggest problem is xlibsmesa3, any suggestions?

Don't fear the penguin! Your best bet is to work out the dependancies
going to sid.  Figure out what the replacements for things are along
the way.  If libc got upgraded along the way successfully (and it's
likely it did), it will be *way* easier to work it out to sid than to
try to back out to woody now.

I just re-installed the base woody system. It wasn't worth it (for me) to work for HOURS on figuring out all the dependencies. The only real problem I had was with xlibmesa3. I kept getting an error message (which I was going to type out in an email message, but I botched that up and lost what I wrote and just said screw it) about the process getting a signal (broken pipe) and that the paste process had been killed by a signal (it was trying to replace a file that no longer existed on the system).

This is why I HATE using binaries. Dependency hell. I've had much better luck installing from source (at least on my RH system). First (and last) time I tried installing from source on my deb system was a failure as well.

--
Let me meddle not in the affairs of Linuxen
For I'm an idiot and will toast my boxen