Re: Transferring Digital Camera Images

Thomas H. George said:
> I have a Sony DSC-S75 digital camera which has a usb port.  The manual
> states the images are stored in JPEG format and the accompanying
> software for Windows installs the camera as an additional hard drive so
> the images may be copied to the computer's hard drive.

I don't see your camera listed in the gphoto2 list of compadible/tested
cameras. That doesn't mean it won't work..My Kodak DC-something works
great though, I just do gphoto2 -P and it downloads all the pictures
from the camera.

first I had to be sure my kernel supported usbdevfs, and mounted the
filesystem, this in /etc/fstab should do it:

none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0

you may wanna check /proc/filesystems to be sure your system supports
that filesystem, I think most debian stock kernels probably do
support it.

otherwise, your best option may be to get one of them USB
card readers that can read the media type that your camera uses,
hopefully it's not a memory stick camera, I have yet to see any
that support that tech myself(though I haven't looked). Be sure to
check for linux compadiblity BEFORE buying though.

nate