Transferring Digital Camera Images

I have a Sony DSC-S75 digital camera which has a usb port.  The manual
states the images are stored in JPEG format and the accompanying
software for Windows installs the camera as an additional hard drive so
the images may be copied to the computer's hard drive.

Naturally, I would prefer to do this running Debian Linux.  Any
suggestions as to how to do this?

Tom George

PS  I must use Debian Linux.  My computer came with factory installed
Windows ME which lacks two .SYS files required by the Sony software.  I
tried to obtain these from Microsoft and was met by the impenatrable
barrier that Microsoft set up to avoid providing elementary support for
their products.