dnsmasq problems

Hi,

Have set up my linux box to do ip masquerading for a few XP boxes on my network.
I am using dhcp and dnsmasq to serve all the client machines.
The problem I am having is the XP boxes can resolve external ips and hostnames
from dhcp registerd clients but hosts listed in /etc/hosts on the
nameserver/gateway box will not resolve. Syslog shows:

dnsmasq[15343]: reading /etc/hosts

on startup and if I dump the dnsmasq cache using a SIGUSR1 with the log-queries
option on it shows the hosts from /etc/hosts listed.

Anyone have any idea why the xp boxes can't resolve these ?

Thanks in advance,

--
Nic <nic_s@ihug.co.nz>
  Public Key: http://www.codepoets.co.nz/gpg-key.txt