Re: help with playing a midi file

Oops!  I didn't send this to the list.

Vineet Kumar wrote:

* Paul Scott <paslist@ultrasw.com> [20030322 21:55 PST]:
I'm not finding a direct way to play a wav and I don't have any mp3's or

/usr/bin/play, from the sox package, is a simple command-line audio (.au
or .wav) player.  From your sound card's perspective, playing a wav is
as good a test as playing an ogg or an mp3; the latter are just
preprocessed by your CPU before being fed to the sound card.

Unfortunately I'm running Sid and KDE 3.1.1 and:
sox: Depends: libvorbis0 (>= 1.0.0) but it is not going to be installed

ogg's. The KDE Control Center allow me to test the sound and it doesn't tell me what kind of file it's testing with.

If you get a sound (something like a recorded voice, as opposed to a
synthesized MIDI sound), your soundcard is able to play PCM (wav) audio.
This also indicates that your mixer has sane values for the main volume
on your card (not muted, not turned way down).  It doesn't, however,
imply that the FM synth channel is neither muted nor turned down.
You'll need to check your mixer settings if you find that PCM (wav)
audio is playing audibly and MIDI is not.

I get some electronic music sounds.  One thing I don't know completely
is the basic interconnection for all of the devices you mention.  Maybe
I will get that in some of the references that Mark gave me.

Thanks,

Paul