Re: e-machines , e-one

on Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 01:44:23PM -0500, askronny@rogers.com (askronny@rogers.com) wrote:
> Does anyone know anything about e-machines ( and e-one model), with
> respect to quality, debian and ibm compatibility, software
> compatibility, I was thinking to install debbian in one with an Intel
> Celeron at 433 Mhz, 64 MB of RAM and a Hard Disk of 2 Mb, and first I
> tried to test it with knoppix, but it asked me for more memory or
> permission to create a swap flie in the hard disk, I gave him the
> permission, but Knoppix got frozen, I restarted de machine but now it
> does not load the system fron CD, in the setup it's set that the first
> boot is on CD, but the machine ignores it, and goes directly to the
> floppy disk and later to the Hard disk.

Hit <F2> at boot.  Knoppix provides a number of options, including
cosole-only mode ("knoppix 2" IIRC).  This requires only 32 MiB RAM.

LNX-BBC (http://www.lnx-bbc.org/) is another bootable media system you
can try.

Frankly, I'd get a more capable system if you can afford it -- 1GHz
boxes are available for ~$200-$300 nekkid.

Peace.

    "Just another million years," said Marvin, "just another quick
    million. Then I might try it backwards. Just for the variety, you
    understand."
    -- HHGTG