Re: Woody to sid to Woody Dependency Hell

On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 20:43:06 -0800 (PST)
 "nate" <debian-user@aphroland.org> wrote:
JOSEPH A NAGY JR said:
--Hey guys, I'm writing this from within lynx because I tried
upgrading to sid via your suggestions, but I met dependency hell and
couldn't restart X. So I tried going back to woody, but I'm still having
problems getting X and KDE properly installed. My biggest
problem is xlibsmesa3, any suggestions?
Let me meddle not in the affairs of Linuxen
For I'm an idiot and will toast my boxen

while I haven't attempted what you've done before..when I encounter
such a problem(which I can't remember the last time I did). I usually
purge the packages affected and reinstall them.

in this case if it were my system I would remove something like
xlibs, that should trigger a remove of most everything on the system
that depends on X. then I would go through and purge the packages
that were removed..something along the lines of
Been there, done that.
dpkg --get-selections | grep deinstall | awk '{print $1}' | xargs dpkg --purge
I'll do that.

then apt-get clean, check to be sure your sources.list has only
woody stuff, apt-get update and reinstall X. BE CAREFUL WITH
THE ABOVE COMMAND. I reccomend running it without the last
pipe to xargs first to be sure it shows the packages you want
to purge. or purge them manually.
I'll keep that last pipe to xargs. I've already lost my old Xconfig file and re-removing everything having to do with X again won't be a problem. If I can get this fixed w/o doing a clean install, I'll be happy.
there may be an easier/faster way but for me, the above has always
worked for me. You may want to backup your X config file.
Thanks for the suggestion, hopefully it'll help
nate