Re: Woody to sid to Woody Dependency Hell

JOSEPH A NAGY JR said:
> --Hey guys, I'm writing this from within lynx because I tried
> upgrading to sid via your suggestions, but I met dependency hell and
> couldn't restart X. So I tried going back to woody, but I'm still  having
> problems getting X and KDE properly installed. My biggest
> problem is xlibsmesa3, any suggestions?
> Let me meddle not in the affairs of Linuxen
> For I'm an idiot and will toast my boxen

while I haven't attempted what you've done before..when I encounter
such a problem(which I can't remember the last time I did). I usually
purge the packages affected and reinstall them.

in this case if it were my system I would remove something like
xlibs, that should trigger a remove of most everything on the system
that depends on X. then I would go through and purge the packages
that were removed..something along the lines of

dpkg --get-selections | grep deinstall | awk '{print $1}' | xargs dpkg --purge

then apt-get clean, check to be sure your sources.list has only
woody stuff, apt-get update and reinstall X. BE CAREFUL WITH
THE ABOVE COMMAND. I reccomend running it without the last
pipe to xargs first to be sure it shows the packages you want
to purge. or purge them manually.

there may be an easier/faster way but for me, the above has always
worked for me. You may want to backup your X config file.

nate