Re: Potato to Woody upgrade

Larry <doccpu@yahoo.com> writes:

> If I currently have Potato installed, and a stack of
> Woody CD's, how do I upgrade from Potato to Woody?
>
> Do I have to just install over Potato?
>
> Or, does apt-get or dpkg allow a more graceful upgrade
> in some automatic fashion?

You should be able to drop each of the Woody CDs into your CD-ROM
drive in turn and run 'apt-cdrom add'.  Having done that, you should
be able to do 'apt-get dist-upgrade', or do the upgrade within a
package tool like dselect or aptitude.  You don't need to reinstall at
all.

> If there's an upgrade method, will it goof up things
> like my lan connections, or remote printer access,
> mutt, etc?

It shouldn't; in general, packages try to be good about preserving
user settings on upgrade.

	-- Abra Mitchell