Re: SE Linux vs. RSBAC (was Re: have I been rooted?)

On March 22, 2003 05:07 am, Russell Coker wrote:

> > Are you still maintaining the SE Linux packages, is it possible to
> > install an SE Linux Woody system?
>
> I am maintaining packages for Debian/Unstable, Brian is maintaining
> packages for Woody.
>
> At the sourceforge web site go to the "Docs" link and the first document
> explains how to install SE Linux on Debian.
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/selinux/

Perfect, that is the link (and reassurance) that I was looking for.

> The "Trusted Debian" project is based on RSBAC which is not as widely
> supported as SE Linux.  Also it is based around the idea of re-packaging
> all Debian software which is a huge amount of work.  I currently maintain
> 21 Debian packages for SE Linux which is more than enough work, maintaining
> a fork of all the base packages would be a huge amount of work.

Hmmm, that's almost the opposite of what they say (see
http://www.trusteddebian.org/rsbac.html):

- SE-Linux makes extensive changes to existing Linux tools, possibly leading
  to a horrible versioning mess and delays in security updates
- RSBAC does not need any changes to existing tools, although it could benefit
  from such changes.

Still I don't agree with most of their statements ... RSBAC may be a great
project, and I hope that it works out, but I am more inclined to trust code
that was developed at the NSA and audited by many developers than a project I
have only just heard about, a project which may have only a single developer
(or at least a pretty quiet mailing list).