OT: home automation with Debian GNU/Linux

After a trip to the latest computer show, I now have a Pentium II 450,
and I need to find something to use it for.  My first thought was to
install the Hurd and try playing with that, and I still might do it, but
lately I've been thinking about playing with home automation.

Besides the usual lighting, heating, and cooling; I'm also thinking
about automating a homebrew setup.  My problem is that most of the
information and products I've found are Windows centric.  While I might
be able to trust the heating and cooling of my house to Windows, I
definitely cannot trust my beer to it.

Does anyone have any experience, information, or reading material for
me?  Is there hope to get this all working with the Linux kernel?
--
Jason Stechschulte
stech@enormousplow.com

Each of us bears his own Hell.