Re: Official Exim 4 package

Jeff Hahn <jeffh@gryphongardens.com> writes:

> On Sat, 22 Mar 2003, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
>
>> Not so.  "exim" is a base package.  That doesn't mean that "exim4" would
>> have to be a base package.  It would just be another _optional_ package.
>>

> Why isn't there just a exim4 package that provides "mail-transport-agent",
> so that it could be used like any other alternative MTA???
>
> Exim 4 has been in release almost a year.  The lack of an "official" exim
> 4 package (even in testing or unstable) prevents me from converting a
> number of servers to debian.
>
> The most important questions..  Who should we be contacting about this?

debian-devel is the mailing for general discussion of Debian
development.

> Where is the exim4 debate actually being discussed?

The packaging of exim4 was discussed on -devel a few months ago, IIRC.
I believe there are a small group of people working on it.

> Who are the powers that be for this package?

It looks like Andreas Metzler <ametzler@debian.org> is the primary
maintainer.

> What can I do to help the release???

Testing the exim4 debs in experimental and providing feedback to the
maintainer(s) is probably the best way to help.

--
I had no feelings about it.  It was aloof and licked itself too much.
Like my cat Mr. Trotsky.