Re: [OT] Backup solutions - watching

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, Alvin Oga wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, Jamie Lawrence wrote:
>
> > If you use it, I recommend keeping a close eye on it.
>
> if you use any backup system ...
> 	- restore that "backup data" to a new disk regularly
> 	and see that all the files are there..
[...]

Yes, certainly, if you rely on your backup, both test and verify.

What I was getting at specifically was that after experimenting with
rdiff-backup, I found it problematic.

It very well could be that I did something stupid, or that the software
sucks, or that my computer is punishing me for being a US aggressor. I
dunno.

I was merely interested in provoking due diligence for those who choose
to employ that particular software.

-j, who makes an effort to speak in more than ellipses.

--
Jamie Lawrence                                        jal@jal.org
"... in making the freedom-for-safety swap, we haven't just dishonored