Re: algorithm for correct sources.list lines?

David Z Maze wrote:

Paul Scott <paslist@ultrasw.com> writes:

1. Is the algorithm for creating lines for sources.list defined
  somewhere?

sources.list(5) has most of the information you need;

It's the "most" that sometimes gets me.

you can also
poke around with a Web browser to look for things.

I do that as often as I can but the point is that the relationship between the directories I see there and the sources.list line is not always obvious.

2. Is this line correct?

deb
ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/linux/devel/lang/java/blackdown.org/debian
unstable main non-free

3. Is there an http version of this line?

Syntactically, it's correct, sure; whether that particular resource
happens to exist or not is outside of APT's control.
/etc/apt/sources.list on my laptop has

deb http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/devel/lang/java/blackdown.org/debian woody non-free main

I just tried that one and several variations and they all give 404 errors. Could that branch have been down for several days?

Thanks,

Paul