apache authentication

Hi
I'm trying to set up a site under my main site with auth, but can get it
working.
What I have done is:
htpasswd -c /usr/local/apache/passwd/passwords username
chown root.nogroup /usr/local/apache/passwd/passwords
chmod 640 /usr/local/apache/passwd/passwords

I have also tried with the password file named .htpasswd, but the result is the same.

and for the access file:
AuthType Basic
AuthName "By Invitation Only"
AuthUserFile /usr/local/apache/passwd/passwords
Require user username

I have almost the same config for users home dir, and thats working
fine. The only difference is that I use "Require valid-user" insted of
the config above.

Can anyone pls help?

I'm running debain 2.4.20 and apache 1.3.27-0.1

/ernst