Re: mutt and aliases

At 04:26 PM 3/21/2003 +0000, jpcl@rnl.ist.utl.pt wrote:

>>"How can you take an adress out of a mail message and put it in an
>> alias file", that was the question. :-)
>
> When you're viewing an e-mail with an address you'd like to add, hit
> "a".  Too simple, eh ?? :-) This will prompt you a few times and then
> write it.

Yep ;-) And I just found out I didn't had to use mail2alias.py for that to
work... I've read all the mutt manual yesterday and I'm quite sure that
"action" is not documented there :(

I believe it's just a keybinding or macro (don't know the difference) that's defined in the default .muttrc or maybe /etc/Muttrc. For all I know, that keybinding just calls something similar to "mail2alias.py" (???).

Anyway, that is still not what I wanted. For instance, what I get when I
press "a" with and e-mail that has this header

-From: "Diogo Quintela (EF)" <dquintela@ef.pt>
-To: <raquelucha_rodrigues@hotmail.com>, <brunobferreira@netcabo.pt>,...

is that "a" allows me to get "dquintela@ef.pt", but what I wanted was that
it allowed me to select from a list, just like pine allows...
For instance, it could do like this:
"
Multiple e-mail addresses found. Please choose the one you want:
  1-dquintela@ef.pt
  2-raquelucha_rodrigues@hotmail.com
  3-brunobferreira@netcabo.pt
"

For instance, what if someone tells you, in a mail:

" From: aguy@somewhere.com
   Hi! About your problem, please mail someone@somemail.com ! "

How do you take that "someone@somemail.com" address? write it down in a
paper, exit mutt, add alias to file, enter mutt? (or some other
combination of these actions, whatever)

mutt is just looking at certain headers, not text in the body of a message. Keep using your current method. :-)

Hall