Re: Problem with startx

Isuru Binduhewa said:

[Can't start X as non-root user]

nate wrote:

I assume you mean as a normal user you CANNOT go to X windows..

this usually is because of the Xwrapper config..

check your /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config , the default should have:
allowed_users=console

if you don't have this file, create it. simple way:

echo "allowed_users=console" >/etc/X11/Xwrapper.config

(as the root user)

alex wrote:

Question about (as the root user)---do you mean become root
BEFORE executing   echo "allowed_users=console" >/etc/X11/Xwrapper.config
or BEFORE executing startx?

Nate means that you should edit/create the "/etc/X11/Xwrapper.config" file as root. The file should already be there, and if you execute the command
   echo "allowed_users=console" >/etc/X11/Xwrapper.confi
you'll overwrite whatever file is already there. So I'd suggest editing the file instead (with nano, or joe, or vi, or whatever editor you're comfortable with). My file looks like:

allowed_users=console
nice_value=-10

and the permissions on it are like so:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 37 Mar 21 2001 /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config

The reason Nate is having you do it as root is because the file is only writable by the owner, which is root. Once this file has been changed so that allowed users is set to console, any user who sits down in front of the physical machine should be able to start X. It's probably currently set to "rootonly", which of course means only root can start X. You can read more about it with "man Xwrapper.config".

Kent