Re: Problem with startx

nate wrote:
Isuru Binduhewa said:

Hi

I am using debian.When I loged in as the root I can go
to Xwindows using startx at the prompt.But when I
logged in as a normal user I can go to Xwindow.

I assume you mean as a normal user you CANNOT go to X windows..

this usually is because of the Xwrapper config..

check your /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config , the default should have:
allowed_users=console

if you don't have this file, create it. simple way:

echo "allowed_users=console" >/etc/X11/Xwrapper.config

(as the root user)

startx should work after that, assuming that was the problem, if
it doesn't include the output from startx to help debug the
problem further.

nate

Question about (as the root user)---do you mean become root
BEFORE executing   echo "allowed_users=console" >/etc/X11/Xwrapper.config
or BEFORE executing    startx?