Re: [OT] Backup solutions - my preferences

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 01:04:08PM -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:
> On 20 Mar 2003, Glenn English wrote:
> > 1) tape - can easily back up the entire system (and a small network)
> > 2) DDS - others are faster, but they cost more
> > 3) amanda, amanda, and amanda - command line, cron-able, free, and very
> > reliable

Agreed!

> i dont have time to play with tapes.. daily changing it..
> 	- forget one day... and you're hosed

Haven't used amanda, have you?  Just set yourself up with a
decent-sized holding disk and it's not a problem.  (Your backups will
finish fast, too.)  My amanda server at work can easily run a week's
worth of backups without needing a tape, just saving it all up on the
holding disk.  Just be sure the holding disk is a separate physical
device to minimize the chance of losing it if the system's primary
drive fails.

Or, of course, if you have the money to spare, you can buy a changer
and let the robot play with tapes for you.

> i prefer 100GB - 1TB of disks to be backed up to other disks ...
> 	( tapes are too small for "full backups" and definitely too slow )

I presume that's a home system, right?  I can't think of any sort of
professional setup where you would have that much data to back up and
not have the money for a tape changer.

By way of comparison, I work at a manufacturing plant.  Home
directories for ~80 users, plus the company databases total out to a
little under 30G.  Using amanda, I'm getting full dumps of everything
at least once a week, with nightly incrementals of anything that's
not doing a full.  Totals out to about 7G a night going onto tape,
taking 13 minutes to collect all the data onto the holding disk and a
three and a half to four hours to write it to tape.

On the 20G tapes I currently use, I could handle pretty close to 100G
without any additional hardware or changes to my backup
configuration, although my 30G holding disk would only handle one or
two days' backups without a tape change, rather than a week.  Dumps
to holding disk would still take well under an hour and writing the
tape would be under half a day.  So what's "too small" and
"definitely too slow" there?

> 	- i want the backup to be live within a few minutes
> 	of the main server going down for whatever reason

Sounds like you want a redundant server more than a backup solution.
Even if no human intervention is required, you're going to need more
than "a few minutes" to copy 100GB-1TB from one hard drive to
another.

> 	- i assume "yesterdays or last weeks" tape/disk/backups is BAD
> 	and can still receover everything from day before or tonights
> 	backup ...

"BAD" in what way?  Obsolete?  That's why you do nightly
incrementals.  Or do you expect the media to decay within 48 hours?

> 	- i want a "hands off backup"... if i go away for vacation
> 	for a week/month... the systems are still properly backed up
> 	( semi-guaranteed )

That's exactly what you get from amanda with a suitably large holding
disk or (preferably) a changer.

> 	- i can lose 2 FULL backups and still recover everything

Cool.  So can I - I run a one-week backup cycle and keep three weeks'
worth of tapes.

Now, I'm not saying that you shouldn't use disks if that's what makes
you happy.  I don't care how (or even if) you back it up.  But your
criticisms of tape are, by and large, incorrect and/or misleading.
I only mean to correct them.

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that