Re: debian 2.0: some intruder broke in

Hi...

On 20.03.2003 15:27:06 Jan Andrzej wrote:
> Some intruder broke in (cracked in) debian 2.0
> system.
> Now I can use it but I cannot shut down the system
> (when I type shutdown -h now or shutdown -r now I get
> the following message: (bad, not nice word) While
> hacking kernel...
> and the system is not going to shutdown. I used the
> button 'reset'
> to exit the system.

Try 'init 0' or maybe 'halt...'. Be careful with 'halt', read
documentation first. But shutting down your system isn't
your most important concern as far as I can see, right...

> The following directories are empty
> /etc/init.d
> /var/log
> And may be more.
> I can use dselect to install again the basic system
> and so on
> but I found only /dists/debian2.2 but not
> /dists/debian2.0
> I think I cannot upgrade the system to debian2.2
> because it's broken
> but probably I could install the removed packages.
> I have installed many programs in the system and they
> seem to
> work so It would be nice not to install everything
> from scratch.

If you have bad luck, all your applications are running only
in your RAM and you have to install everything new anyway...

> Could you please someone help me?

Sorry... i can't gibe you any help for this problem...

bye and good luck Thomas