Re: Need this scanner working for a report!

Paladin wrote:
Hi guys!

I have a HP ScanJet 3200C. I've read about this online and installed
sane and configured the umax_pp backend. I've selected the EPP mode
in the bios and compiled the parport, parport_pc, ppdev and lp
modules. Even so, in /proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/active there's
no active devices in there! (Yes, everything is connected!;)
So, I've ran out of ideas and am needing this urgently for a report!
Any success stories out there??

Thanks in advance to everyone! =)

---
Paladin

I got this same scanner working under Debian testing/unstable about a month ago, and had the same "problem" initially. Here is an exerpt from a "feedback" message I sent to the package maintainer:

"... I have one observation on the installation for your consideration. This is specific for the HP 3200C scanner, a parallel-port scanner and a clone of the UMAX 1220P, and is from a "newbie" perspective. The documentation was most helpful in getting my setup going, with one possible exception/omission. I got "hung-up" initially because my fairly recent Debian "testing / unstable" install had NOT created /dev/parport0 in the /dev directory. I kept getting "no scanners found" errors. Once I figured this out, I easily created the necessary devices with a "./MAKEDEV -v parport" in the /dev directory. This created the 3 parport devices owned by "root" and in the "lp" group. After doing this, the scanner was recognized and everything worked as advertised from a root login. I had to correct the permissions to enable it working from a "user" account. Alternatively, I found that just adding my "users" that I wanted to have access to the scanner to the "lp" group worked just as well. ..."

The maintainer was quite nice about this feedback and submitted the following:

Julien BLACHE wrote:

> -SNIP - <
>
> Oh, just realised /dev/lp* and /dev/parport* aren't the same
> thing. Well... If you already installed sane 1.0.10-{1,2}, you
> probably noticed the Debconf dialog to create the usbscanner device
> nodes, so if you want I can add another dialog for the parport device
> nodes. Would that suit you ?

I don't know which version of SANE you installed, or if this has made it into the currently available version yet or not, BUT you might give this a try. BTW, don't bother with messing around with the permissions created by the MAKDEV command. Just add the users you want to have access to the scanner to the "lp" group. You can scan and import directly from GIMP after it is working! Neat!!

If you are really in a hurry, feel free to contact me directly, and we can compare installs in an attempt to get you going ASAP.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-